The Library of the University of Northampton
In 2000 the Library of the University of Northampton (opens in a new window) accepted the Library of Dr G. Herbert Fowler on deposit.
Dr Fowler was the founder of BHRS and of the Bedfordshire County Record Office. The Library contains his personal collection of books, journals, record society publications and state papers on topics of interest to him: local and national history, archives and their administration.
On his death in 1940, he left it to BHRS and in 2000 it was deposited on long-term loan in the University of Northampton Library. It is housed on the 4th Floor of the Learning Hub on the University’s Waterside Campus, where it is on open shelves and available to anyone using the Learning Hub. Items may not be borrowed.
Visiting the Library
The collection is open to all for reference purposes and no appointment is needed. However, anyone planning to visit the Learning Hub is advised to check:
- instructions for obtaining access to the Learning Hub, either through a free day pass or free associate membership (opens in a new window)
- the opening hours of the Learning Hub (opens in a new window)
- the University of Northampton website for a campus guide, map, travel and parking information (opens in a new window)
- the Library catalogue (opens in a new window) to ensure that the item required is in the collection.
Finding books in the collection
The collection is fully catalogued. On the Library Catalogue homepage (opens in a new window):
- from the drop-down menu Keyword select the appropriate term, or leave on Keyword
- enter your search term in the adjacent blank box
- from the drop-down menu View Entire Collection select Fowler Collection
- click Submit
- the list of results displays the location (Waterside Fowler Collection) and the shelf mark for each item against the heading Copies
- click on the title of any of the results for full bibliographical details.
Alternatively, to search on several terms, from the Library Catalogue homepage (opens in a new window):
- select Index Search (bottom right): this opens the Advanced Keyword Search template
- select the appropriate search terms and enter your search words
- click Submit
- the list of results displays items throughout the Library
- to narrow the results to the Fowler Collection, select Fowler Collection from the drop-down menu View Entire Collection at the top of the page
NB A few rare items are held in the Library’s Special Collections room. The Library must be contacted in advance to make an appointment. Email email@example.com.